Home Newsletter Message Board Fortmart Magazine Info Contact
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search New postsHome

Fortean Times Message Board : Powered by vBulletin version 2.0.0 Fortean Times Message Board > It Happened to Me! > Dogheaded Men
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread    [ <<    <    1    2    >    >> ] Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Mark Pilkington
Administrator

Dogheaded Men

Carla Randle

In the late 60s we lived in Station Street, Crewe, which we left when the whole area was to be slum-cleared. The houses were old fashioned, very basic terraced ones opening directly onto the street, and as everyone knew everyone else it was safe to 'play out' quite late at night. One evening, Mark (aged about 9) was walking along the wide pavement when he saw some characters coming toward him. There were 3 I think, and they were somewhat taller than people...

Click here for original story

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Mark Pilkington is offline Old Post 15-08-2001 15:55
Click Here to See the Profile for Mark Pilkington Click here to Send Mark Pilkington a Private Message Click Here to Email Mark Pilkington Visit Mark Pilkington's homepage! Find more posts by Mark Pilkington Add Mark Pilkington to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
J. Christie
Grey

Similar things have happened elsewhere

Though I have never run across other tales of nocturnal dogheaded men, the theme of "nighthawks bumping into the Strange on city sidewalks" is common around the world. For example, in the early 1970's a report came from a Latin American country (I think Argentina) of a night-time encounter between a man and three black-suited creatures. He was walking on one side of a city street, the creatures were walking down the other side, going the other way. Each of the beings wore what looked like a black spacesuit; their heads were covered and pointed, their eyes a glowing red. All were short humanoids. I think they did not notice the witness, who later told the police.
While this sighting could be lumped in with UFO "phenomena" because the things looked like aliens, your sighting of the dogmen was very similar. What I've noticed with all witness accounts of weird creatures (non-UFO) is that they either take no heed of the witness, or they react to him/her in some strange way (physical attacks, running away, staring, or telepathic communication.) Luckily the dogmen seemed intent on popping into our reality, clumsily walking through it, then vanshing back from whence they came.

J. Christie is offline Old Post 07-09-2001 22:19
Click Here to See the Profile for J. Christie Find more posts by J. Christie Add J. Christie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
-Oracle-
Jovian Wolverine

Anubis?

In Egypt, the Jackal headed God, Anubis, is an urban legend. He has been seen in physical presence and in shadow. He is the guuardian of the underworld and guides spirits to Abydos. He has often been seen shortly after or before a person's death.
I'm not saying that this is what you saw but a Dog Headed man and Anubis are pretty much anatomically identical in my book...

And you too will get old...

-Oracle- is offline Old Post 08-09-2001 13:57
Click Here to See the Profile for -Oracle- Click here to Send -Oracle- a Private Message Click Here to Email -Oracle- Find more posts by -Oracle- Add -Oracle- to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
p.younger
M.I.B

Cool

Was'nt there a humanoid creature a bit like this in the latest star wars movie? perhaps it's a question of precognition of the movie kind.

One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man.

p.younger is online now Old Post 16-09-2001 20:24
Click Here to See the Profile for p.younger Click here to Send p.younger a Private Message Click Here to Email p.younger Find more posts by p.younger Add p.younger to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
eccentric
Grey

Could have been joe camel out for a night on the town,he gets around.

eccentric is offline Old Post 25-09-2001 05:46
Click Here to See the Profile for eccentric Find more posts by eccentric Add eccentric to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hermes
SEBI

Reminds me of the following report:

Date/Time: [not specified].

A resident of the Arab town of Jenin was driving one evening towards Dotan and picked up a hitch-hiker, who who sat in the passenger seat beside him. After a while he noticed his companion's face had transformed into that of a one-eyed dog. Stopping the car, he ran away from it and fainted.

Debate in Jenin and the neighbouring towns interpreted the figure variously as a demon, or 'the blind liar' - an evil figure that is to spread evil abroad before the coming of the Messiah.

Source(s): Daily Maariv (Israel) 14 October 1996; 'Chillers on the road' (Fortean Times, issue uncertain).

Hermes is offline Old Post 26-09-2001 01:15
Click Here to See the Profile for Hermes Click here to Send Hermes a Private Message Visit Hermes's homepage! Find more posts by Hermes Add Hermes to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
-Oracle-
Jovian Wolverine

I've been checking up on this...

Turns out that there is one form of Demon that becomes human to entice it's victims, then becomes a hideous Jackal type creature...often with one eye or a shroud over is face and nose, covering it's eyes...

And you too will get old...

-Oracle- is offline Old Post 26-09-2001 07:50
Click Here to See the Profile for -Oracle- Click here to Send -Oracle- a Private Message Click Here to Email -Oracle- Find more posts by -Oracle- Add -Oracle- to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
whippsa
Grey

Talking Animal headed thingies

When I was in high school in Portland, Oregon, USA, around the year 1969. A friend, Mike Edgerton, told me that he liked to rent a 'bear' costume and go the mall or some other public place and hand out candy and wave to people!

He kept wanting me to go along! Doh! No way. But one night he asked me to drive him around, late at night. Gosh, what are friends for (no really, what ARE friends for?) Whenever we saw someone, and this episode was late on a Friday night in residential neiborhoods, he'd get out and walk around and wave to people. Remember, it was dark and there is this idiot in a rented bear costume (more like a cartoonish bear with a big head), waving at the few people who were coming home or going out at that hour.

That was the last time I got roped into doing that but I'm sure it went on without my help or approval.

I'm also sure that what one nit-wit thinks up, someone else, somewhere, sometime will also try. Perhaps pranksters or costume party goers are the cause of some unusual stories.

whippsa is offline Old Post 27-09-2001 16:50
Click Here to See the Profile for whippsa Click here to Send whippsa a Private Message Visit whippsa's homepage! Find more posts by whippsa Add whippsa to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mr chopper
Grey

reading the story on the dog headed men reminds me of a similar thing that happened to me as a child ( aged about 10 ) it reads as follows. i used to live in a place called ashton ( east manchester ) and behind my house there were two large factories and whilst playing down there one summer morning my freind ( same age ) told me to look at two figures walking towards us sillueted by the sun, we thought it was our parents coming to tell us off for playing where we shouldn't but when they got close one of the figures appeared to have a dog's head we froze still. it was obvious it was a real dogs head by it's movment, detail etc the other figure was human, we both ran home and told our parents they did not beleive us but they new we were obviously spooked, so they called the police and a few hours later they caught up with a man who we identified as the man with the dog headed man. he told the police exactly what we saw was true and he claimed to have met the dogman on the banks of the canal and was following him to see if he was real, he claims he lost him. both the police and my parents did not believe any story but to this day nobody has believed me but to here of a similar story is amazing has anyone else had a similar expeiriance.

mr chopper is offline Old Post 11-10-2001 01:20
Click Here to See the Profile for mr chopper Click here to Send mr chopper a Private Message Click Here to Email mr chopper Find more posts by mr chopper Add mr chopper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TorgosPizza
Grey

I think the dog-headed men must be some sort of archetype we Westerners don't dwell on; still, it comes out every so often. Are any of you familiar with Wildstorm's (a subsidiary of DC Comics) book by Alan Moore and Gene Ha, entitled "Top Ten?" If I'm not mistaken, there's a dog-headed man in the book. Or the dog's using a cybernetic human body...I'm not certain. Sorry--I'm a "Planetary" fan.

TorgosPizza is offline Old Post 11-10-2001 05:08
Click Here to See the Profile for TorgosPizza Click here to Send TorgosPizza a Private Message Find more posts by TorgosPizza Add TorgosPizza to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Leavitt_Joshua
Grey

Location: Murfreesboro, Tennessee, USA (although currently Lee University, Cleveland, Tennessee)

This is addressed to everyone who has encountered "dog-headed men." I am an artist, and a paranormal researcher in my spare time. Could you please tell me what -type- of dog these people's heads resembled? That is, wolf, collie, boxer, poodle, etc.
The reason that I ask is because there is a record of a similar incident having occured a while back somewhere in the USA, although two things were different. Nevertheless, the man who had the encounter said that the figure's face resembled a certain type of dog, and I am curiious to see whether or not there is a connection.
Also, what were these dog-headed people wearing when you all saw them? Are we talking about dogs walking around on its hind legs or are we talking about men in suits with heads that look like the faces of dogs? Also, how tall were these people? Did they ever open their mouths?
Please answer as soon as possible.

Leavitt_Joshua is offline Old Post 11-10-2001 20:49
Click Here to See the Profile for Leavitt_Joshua Click here to Send Leavitt_Joshua a Private Message Click Here to Email Leavitt_Joshua Find more posts by Leavitt_Joshua Add Leavitt_Joshua to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mr chopper
Grey

Thumbs up

the doghead man i saw seemed to have the haed of a dobherman altho this particular breed of dog has a bad reputation for being nasty this doghead seemed to have a calm face it is hard for me to say as i don't really have anything to compare it with but it did seem to have the appearence of a friendly "being". as for clothes it had on i cant remember my self but my friend only remembers long black and baggy and thats about it. i said he was a man with a dogs head because thats how i remembered him as he they walked towards me his siluette seemed human and gave no clues for me to think other wise ( until i saw him obviously. he walked and carried him self like a human, but i just assumed maybe he was a dog walking on his hind legs.

mr chopper is offline Old Post 11-10-2001 22:31
Click Here to See the Profile for mr chopper Click here to Send mr chopper a Private Message Click Here to Email mr chopper Find more posts by mr chopper Add mr chopper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JackSkellington
Man or Mullet?

This rings a bell... I remember reading years ago of a whole race of Dog-Headed men supposed to originate in Africa, I think. It was in a book of legendary creatures...

JackSkellington is offline Old Post 12-10-2001 14:18
Click Here to See the Profile for JackSkellington Click here to Send JackSkellington a Private Message Click Here to Email JackSkellington Find more posts by JackSkellington Add JackSkellington to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JackSkellington
Man or Mullet?

http://www.lehigh.edu/~cjs6/yahoo.htm

Take a look - One-eyed, two-eyed, dog-headed cannibals and a bibliography to boot!

JackSkellington is offline Old Post 12-10-2001 14:32
Click Here to See the Profile for JackSkellington Click here to Send JackSkellington a Private Message Click Here to Email JackSkellington Find more posts by JackSkellington Add JackSkellington to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Xanatic
Great Old One

Yeah, I've heard of those. I've heard a theory that they might have been seen on Madagascar where there used to live a species of gorilla-sized lemurs. If they could mistake gorillas for men why not lemurs.

Xanatic is offline Old Post 12-10-2001 16:22
Click Here to See the Profile for Xanatic Click here to Send Xanatic a Private Message Find more posts by Xanatic Add Xanatic to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote