Forums About Us Donations EpicSki Academy
Training Partners Gear Travel
Search the forums with Google

Go Back   The Barking Bear Forums > Gear Forums > Consumer Gear Reviews

Old March 22nd, 2007, 11:46 AM

Default scott aztec pro's

looking to maybe score a pair of these in a 185, very reasonable price, seem like positive reviews. right now using a head IM82 as my everyday esat coast ski (6'-2", 190lbs)...love the ski but it definately doesn't get started until you put some speed to it. makes for some interesting situations when skiing tight trees at slow speeds here in PA, NY and VT. was considering the IM78 or even IM77 in 181's...........but noticed the scott's; seemed like good dimensions and i am sure they are more forgiving than my heads, plus a great deal being offered on them. any feedback/recommendations on them?
Old March 22nd, 2007, 12:25 PM

Try Ski Swap, not gear reviews.
Old March 22nd, 2007, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tromano View Post
Try Ski Swap, not gear reviews.
thanks, but not looking to swap.....just looking for some reviews of the scott aztec.
Old March 22nd, 2007, 02:25 PM

Default aztec review

I purchased a pair of 175cm Aztec Pro's recently. I like this ski very much in a variety of conditions. I am 5'11", 200 pounds and ski mostly in Vermont. I'm a level 7 skier. I wanted a ski to use for improving in the bumps. Their light weight and soft tips have helped me a lot. I don't ski trees in the East very much, so I can't comment there.
They surprised me on hard snow also. A few weeks ago we had some of the hardest snow of the year at Stratton and I was very happy with their performance. They did chatter a bit at times, but I didn't feel like I had to swap for my Fischer RX-9's (I probably should have, but I was having fun when the snow began to soften up)...I also used them in Saturday's massive dump of heavy, wet snow and was happy with them.
The Aztec's are fun and easy and don't wear you down. For me they are a good choice for the times when I want to mix soft groomer and bump skiing. They initiate turns easily. I also like the way they lock into a nice GS arc; this type of turn on these skis feels different than it does on other skis I own, perhaps due to their "dual radius" construction.
Old March 22nd, 2007, 04:21 PM
EpicSki Supporter

What's "dual radius" construction?
Old March 22nd, 2007, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts01 View Post
What's "dual radius" construction?
explained pretty good on their website; they ski short on hardpack and long in powder....longish tip on the ski also.
Old March 22nd, 2007, 11:11 PM
EpicSki Supporter

Very nice skis. demoed in 185.
Nimble and quick. Able to carve short or longer arc very easily. Adequate if not impressive edge hold. Excellent in soft snow. A little light in the crud (they don't slice trough it and can get deflected) but no big deal. They have a speed limit, those are not race skis, but nothing to worry about if you're not a speed freak.
A really good all mountain ski : they do what you ask for without feeling lifeless or boring. They will assist you but with some 'pop'. I can see myself cruising all day long on them. (wait. I did)