Forums About Us Donations EpicSki Academy
Training Partners Gear Travel
Search the forums with Google

Go Back   The Barking Bear Forums > Gear Forums > Snowboard Gear Discussions

Old March 2nd, 2007, 03:02 PM

Default Neversummer Summit Splitboard

Just picked the first one up ever. With the Heritage topsheet and Neversummer Colorado flag bottom. I can't wait to put this to snow tomorrow.

Reviews will come this weekend. Big thanks to the Blaho Brothers for making this. The craftsmenship is amazing.
Old March 10th, 2007, 05:16 PM
EpicSki Supporter

Awaiting review with baited breath. Something very elegant about that shape.
Old March 12th, 2007, 11:20 AM

It rides just like the NS Solid Summit 167. I am very impressed with the quality of this board. The taper is over 10 millimeters which is huge for a board of this type. The guys at NS have figured something out, because it rides just fine on hardpack and even switch if needed.

Another thing I was little concerned about was the set back when you were skinning. In order for this to work the touring brackets had to be quite a ways back from the center of the ski. As it turned out, they are mounted right to the sweet spot of the ski and I haven't had any problems with my ski's slipping back, except for on slopes that are too steep to skin anyway.
As far as for the ride. I took it out on Berthoud Pass and Buffalo Pass in Steamboat. Both days so far it's slayed it. I absolutely floats in deep pow.
Here I am testing some windbuff on Berthoud.

Seeing how it handles with a little air.

and Cody and myself just enjoying the sun and pow that day.

All I can say is that the Neversummer splits are the top of line. The fit is amazing. Bentley even set my stance for me so all I had to do was use my slider plate bindings from my other split and I was ready to go.
Old March 12th, 2007, 02:27 PM
EpicSki Supporter

It's interesting to see how the market's settling on sort of a moderate taper or pintail shape for a pow-focused board that's not quite as squirrelly as the Fish.

Cool dog, too!
Old March 12th, 2007, 02:49 PM

Yeah, I have noticed that too. All I can say out of all the tapers I have checked out the Summit just beats them all to hell. Hence the reason I went with one for a split. The stance itself is setback quite a bit. Almost a foot I believe. Most of the other tapered shapes are a few inches set back. A much different depature from the other companies, but it works better than any other I have ridden.
Old March 21st, 2007, 04:30 AM

Could you post some picures from the binding setup and write about how easy it is to assemble/disassemble it on the mountain?

How about performance in chopped up or on the slope, that's where the duotone splitboards let me down a bit, however the biggest letdown for me was that 2 part splitboards where allways to wide to use the tracks of a skier to walk up.
Old March 21st, 2007, 08:31 AM

It's the standard voile hardware set up. Where you mount the bindings on slider plates. If you are talking about the set back on the board and skis. I'll try to get some pics this weekend to post up. It's not hard to change it from one mode to the other, but it is a bit longer than an AT or Tele setup.

Performance wise it rides just like the Solid Neversummer Summit I first demo'd. Just a bit heavier due to the Voile kit. I have rode some hardpack, some icy stuff, pow, and now spring corn conditions. It has done fine in the chop as most Neversummers do. It's definitely at home in the pow and corn. Icy stuff it rides just fine, but a more regular board would be better for that. Then again, who is going to ride ice in the backcountry on a splitboard anyway? That just means it's time to go if there is nothing but ice.

In touring mode I hear ya. The split ski's are always wider than anyone else's. I almost always have to break half a trail if I am using a track set by skiers. The good news here is that more and more people are riding splits. Often when I hop on an established skintrack it has already been skinned by a splitter so no problem. That wasn't the case a few years ago. Anyhow, I still think it is easier breaking half a trail than snowshoeing. Plus if you are lapping the area, set it once and you're set. Some skiers have ski's that are almost wide enough it makes it easy to use their tracks.
I guess it's the cross you'd have to bear for being a trail blazer out your way.
Old March 21st, 2007, 09:34 AM

Allright, I know the Voile System. It's solid.

For me nevertheless a 2 piece splitboard is no more option (I had one quite some time ago but sold it because when I go touring I want to go somewhere where I with my group am one of the first to go - which is in years with decent snowcover - no problem in east Austria - in western Austria everywhere!!!!! you go there are tracks so it would be different). I'ld use a 3 piece design but then actually can't be bothered so I just use some small and light skis to go up or for long traverses and carry my board on the back.

Considering you go out with other splitboarders in a small group, its again a very different story.
Old March 21st, 2007, 11:16 AM

I don't always get out with other splitters. Frequently I am the only one. At places like Monarch Pass that means I am breaking a half trail pretty much all day. 3700 vert worth of trail. It does get annoying. At that place though, short ski's or snowshoes are just not an option. You need the float of a full length ski at a place like that. Sounds like you got it figured out for what works best for you.
Old March 23rd, 2007, 07:07 PM

$$$ ?