Forums About Us Donations EpicSki Academy
Training Partners Gear Travel
Search the forums with Google

Go Back   The Barking Bear Forums > Technique and Training Forums > Racing News & Technique

Old March 19th, 2007, 02:52 PM

Default Scott Pole Cone Baskets

Is everybody losing the stock discs on the Scott GS poles?

Mine are on the verge of falling off and I've set them aside until I get some cone replacements. Now I just got a second out of stock message (Artech and now RaceWerks) after ordering the listed item off the website. Why can't Scott just stick cones on their GS poles like everybody else?
Old March 19th, 2007, 06:54 PM
EpicSki Supporter

Thin strip of duct tape under the basket...no-fallie-offie.
Old March 19th, 2007, 07:37 PM
EpicSki Supporter

Try Reliable Racing ... get the cones, not the discs.

First the bad news. The replacement cones don't pop on the same way, that is to say, with the little retainer ring.

Now the good news. You can get them to work. After the old cone or disk is off, take real mega coarse grit paper to the pole shaft and sand around the pole (don't sand length wise) ... make sure it's around.

Roll the grit paper like a "doobie" so you can abrade inside the cone too. Make it real rough.

Find a small piece of pipe (I had one from a laboratory coring set for you students), and after applying a marine epoxy ..... use a small hammer and give it a wee bit of a pounding to seat it tight .... but don't go nuts ... you are seating it ... not killing it!

The pipe will slip over the tip and match the aluminium core of the new basket.

After it has set and since I know that you have huffed at least some of the epoxy fumes, use this paranoia, to put a second bead around the top and bottom.

Oh yeah! (see what I mean about fumes), in order to get the old what's left of the basket off, find an open ended wrench that just slips over the pole shaft. Tip goes on the floor and tap with a hammer.
Old March 20th, 2007, 05:06 PM

Both of my baskets have cracked, but only one has managed to come off.
Old March 20th, 2007, 05:44 PM
EpicSki Supporter

The Scott cones are pretty easy to find at shop repair counters. I used Scott cones to replace the cones on my Leki GS WC's. Fit was exact - the cone has a slightly larger circumference than Leki cone.

Scott kits came with new collars, cones, and retaining rings. Didn't need the new collars on the Leki poles.
Old March 22nd, 2007, 04:16 PM

Reliable Racing is out of stock for the season too...
Old March 22nd, 2007, 10:48 PM
EpicSki Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuki View Post
Try Reliable Racing ... get the cones, not the discs.

First the bad news. The replacement cones don't pop on the same way, that is to say, with the little retainer ring.

Now the good news. You can get them to work. After the old cone or disk is off, take real mega coarse grit paper to the pole shaft and sand around the pole (don't sand length wise) ... make sure it's around.

Roll the grit paper like a "doobie" so you can abrade inside the cone too. Make it real rough.

Find a small piece of pipe (I had one from a laboratory coring set for you students), and after applying a marine epoxy ..... use a small hammer and give it a wee bit of a pounding to seat it tight .... but don't go nuts ... you are seating it ... not killing it!

The pipe will slip over the tip and match the aluminium core of the new basket.

After it has set and since I know that you have huffed at least some of the epoxy fumes, use this paranoia, to put a second bead around the top and bottom.

Oh yeah! (see what I mean about fumes), in order to get the old what's left of the basket off, find an open ended wrench that just slips over the pole shaft. Tip goes on the floor and tap with a hammer.
A "Doobie"? What's that? And how do you roll it?
Old March 22nd, 2007, 11:05 PM
EpicSki Supporter

did you try contacting Scott directly? I broke the shear pin on my GS pole strap in a wipeout. e-mailed them and they sent me some replacements. Excellent service, props to Scott!
Old March 23rd, 2007, 03:19 PM
EpicSki Supporter

According to "Answers.com"

A "doobie"

n. Slang

a. A marijuana cigarette

origins unknown

Oh .... be sure to use a kind of Zig Zag pattern when roughing the alumnium!