Author Topic: Compendium Media Server  (Read 4043 times)

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
Compendium Media Server
« on: September 25, 2007, 03:11:34 am »
Update: We have hosting again, but I have to reupload all our assets and change the links. It'll take a few days.

Herograw has decided that having administrator status over the Compendium forums is more important than friendship or decency. We have rejected his unreasonable request, and he has deleted the contents of cc.herograw.org.

The assets are safely backed up. It is regrettable that someone I've been friends with for a few years and now professes himself to be a devout Christian would do something so puerile, but I guess it can't be helped. There will be replacement hosting and a simple find & replace command in the Compendium's database to fix all the links at once.

So, to those of you inconvenienced, you know who to blame.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 11:46:49 pm by ZeaLitY »

Kyronea

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
Re: Compendium media server ends tonight
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2007, 03:15:27 am »
What?! DAMN IT! I like that media server...it's so useful...and you link it in so many places on the site...

This is highly unfair to you AND the Compendium.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2007, 03:22:21 am »
If this is a test of my friendship, then this isn't a friendship worth keeping.

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2007, 05:56:40 am »
He wants to be an admin on the forum? What for? He never even posted anything :?

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2007, 06:27:45 am »
I guess technically he does have some rights over the Compendium, as he has been a big help in the recent years, but his rights over administration is in the same league as China has over Tibet- they're there, but it's still not right. And if you two are as close friends as you guys say you are...then you are right, it's not a friendship worth keeping.

Have you asked him why he would make such a request?

EDIT: Woah, I thought you were dead Chrono '99 :?

Vehek

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2007, 10:53:59 am »
Has he said anything about the other servers?

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2007, 01:43:44 pm »
Yes, QuestFan is gone as well. But it's all completely backed up. We're just going to find a new host.

As for why he did it, he's just a trollish idiot. That's been a fact from the beginning, but it never carried over to his actions until now, ironically after he's "found God".

Indulge in such regrets in the next life!
« Last Edit: September 25, 2007, 01:56:36 pm by ZeaLitY »

justin3009

• Fan Project Leader
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
Re: Compendium Media Server
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2007, 03:08:43 pm »
How come just becoming Christian or something or "finding God" all of a sudden makes people they can do/rule w/e they want just because they say so?  It's happened to so many people, just kinda pathetic.

rguinn

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2007, 04:52:24 pm »
First off, my christianity has nothing to do with this. Why you bring it up, I don't know. Must be a personal thing. to everyone else: (Zeality is a very negative person and I've had the dubious pleasure of hearing probably every bit of drama he has had for the past three years or so. He specifically makes sure not to be a douchebag at chronocompendium so I understand if you guys don't really "get it.")

Second, it was very mature of you to ban me and then talk about the issue. I've never asked you or anyone else I give hosting to for any favors, or anything else for that matter. For you specifically, I've been hosting your stuff for years now. Three domains, 11 gigs of files, and a considerable amount of bandwidth have gone towards your little projects. But no, none of it matters. I only bring it up to put things into perspective.

One day, not long ago, I thought to myself, "I've never asked any of the people I help out for anything. What would happen if I did?" I actually have admin access to most of the forums on sites I help with hosting. Zeality is the only person to date who has turned me down, and not chronocompendium (nor questfan) are by any measure the most visited or active of the forums I'm involved with.

When I asked Zeality about getting admin access he first tried to get me to remove moderation hindering him at another website that I host. This is against my principles. If there is some sort of problem between two people I host, It's their problem. What Zeality was asking me to do was use my admin access at THAT forum to do something against the wishes of the forum owners.

THEN he turns around and says he cannot give me admin access at chronocompendium because it's "too much of a security risk." So basically he can't make me admin because he's worried, ironically, about me doing the same sort of thing that he asked me to do for him on another forum. Am I the only one who finds this laughable?

I have never frequented the forums at chronocompendium, nor would I do so after receiving admin access. I just wanted to see if Zeality appreciated my consistent, never-wavering contribution to his endeavors enough to do this simple thing, something other people have done without hesitation.

Now, seeing as I've done a lot for zeality over the years and he has done nothing for me, I sort of expected that the one time I ask for something, he might have the good nature, as a friend, to comply. Apparently not.

So who's not being a friend here?

-rob

Oh, and your filespace (which is only second to my own in terms of magnitude, if that gives anyone an idea of how much I've been contributing) isn't gone. I just parked the domains. Stop making things up. And don't make it sound as though you got the last laugh because you have everything backed up already. I knew that. If I thought you didn't I would have given you ample time to do so.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2007, 05:02:21 pm »
Your methods and your request were completely unreasonable. To suddenly reverse a favor three years in -- a "favor" which has no effect or added cost to your hosting, nor was given with any initial terms or conditions -- is trollish. Whether you intended to stay here or not is irrelevant to making you an administrator. That is a right I'd rather maintain and have to purchase our own hosting for rather than cave on.

Your Christianity is involved because as you've sacrificed more and more of your personal resolve and worldview because of someone else's irrational belief in a fairy tale, you've become less of a friend.

between two people I host

Then don't stick yourself between this site's administration and Chrono fans.

has done nothing for me

Then I will give you the privilege of not having a voice here.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2007, 05:05:31 pm by ZeaLitY »

rguinn

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2007, 05:06:06 pm »
perhaps you forget that this is my third webhosting account, as I've had to upgrade twice due to running out of both bandwitdth and webspace.

No cost, my ass

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2007, 05:07:20 pm »
perhaps you forget that this is my third webhosting account, as I've had to upgrade twice due to running out of both bandwitdth and webspace.

No cost, my ass

"come on fag, the compendium used less than 5%, your site is insignificant"

You were lying, then?

rguinn

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2007, 05:08:53 pm »
that was a jest? I'm sure you take everything seriously that involves the words "come on fag"

I don't expect anyone else to understand that you're a douchebag. I'm sure people think of you like most people thought of djp before they actually got to know him. I'm equally aware of how hard you're trying to make sure no one here actually gets to know you, because it could only be detrimental. Can't blame me for discarding dead weight.

What caused me to change was an assessment of my life and the realization that I could be doing so much more. I'm sorry that (by your own action) you've been revealed as one of those random assholes I want nothing to do with. Don't blame God, blame yourself.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2007, 05:21:52 pm by rguinn »

Exodus

• Acacia Deva (+500)
  • How do we know we exist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2007, 05:23:16 pm »
So basically because he didn't get admin of the forums, he QQ'd about it, didn't get what he wanted, and threw yet a larger fit?

QQ moar, imo.

jono

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2007, 06:00:33 pm »
Can I have admin status?

Only Joking :)