Forums

REGISTER

To participate in the Forums, you need to register a separate account from your game account.

Username:

Password:

Login Problems?

More Search Options

Developer Posts

MODERATORS

* (1VB)Hanzerik
* +TheSaint+
* -Gus-
* =FoxHunter=
* Bear 82
* Fodder4U
* GravyBoat
* MajorWinters
* SFC_Gaddy
* Skyracer
* longjon76
* SuperMod

HOT TOPICS

Smoke Grenades
Weapons Wishlist
Good Players
SAI Know How
Comp & Pub Unite!

»» See more popular topics

FORUM HELP

TERMS OF SERVICE

What makes a good player

Page 1 of 17    Next Page  

3-75th_B1P_2LT=Vion

Private First Class

Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:01 pm Profile

I wanted to get some info from you guys that have high honor and that when i go to aaotracker your kills are high as heck adn your deaths are less than one third of that. Please give me some tips on the battle field. Im currently only 40 honor. Im also gonna take this chance to ask what do you do when your in a fire fight 1 to 1? I normally start jumping but that doesnt work so then I also crouch but that only kinda works. I want tot get tips from you pros out there.

SlieTheSecond

Sergeant First Class

Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:13 pm Profile Canada

A good player is the player who works with a team.
A good player does not care about aaotracker (usually doesn't have an aaotracker account either) and does not care how many kills vs death you have. Simply put, just because you die less than you kill does not make you a good player.

Your question about a fire fight 1 to 1 is vague. Long distance or close distance? Are we talking in the bright open desert, are we talking CQC ? Lots of cover? Weapons too (for instance, if someone has an m16 sometimes i may wait it out behind cover till he runs out of ammo and has to reload. But if he has a saw i might use a flash)

It all boils down to experience, jumping around like a bunny isn't gonna help much against someone who knows how to shoot. Fooling the enemy will help. Some times I will run around a building, they think im going one way, but I will turn around and come back up behind them. Or I will open a door but not go in. I may hide and purposely give away my position then re-hide. I may just engage, use a flash, use a nade. You can hear a reload, or the draw of a grenade from them. I might go prone if the cover warrants a good shot for me but a bad shot for them.

What I am really trying to say It all depends on the situation your in, who you are playing against, the surroundings you can use. Trial and error. Some tactics might work, some might not.

-SA][Sabotaged.

Sergeant

Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:36 pm Profile

Quote:

A good player does not care about aaotracker

Definitely. Tracker isn't used by anyone who is close to being the best.

Bulletman

Staff Sergeant

Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:40 am Profile

SlieTheSecond wrote:

A good player does not care about aaotracker (usually doesn't have an aaotracker account either) and does not care how many kills vs death you have. Simply put, just because you die less than you kill does not make you a good player.

Your question about a fire fight 1 to 1 is vague. Long distance or close distance? Are we talking in the bright open desert, are we talking CQC ? Lots of cover? Weapons too (for instance, if someone has an m16 sometimes i may wait it out behind cover till he runs out of ammo and has to reload. But if he has a saw i might use a flash)

It all boils down to experience, jumping around like a bunny isn't gonna help much against someone who knows how to shoot. Fooling the enemy will help. Some times I will run around a building, they think im going one way, but I will turn around and come back up behind them. Or I will open a door but not go in. I may hide and purposely give away my position then re-hide. I may just engage, use a flash, use a nade. You can hear a reload, or the draw of a grenade from them. I might go prone if the cover warrants a good shot for me but a bad shot for them.

What I am really trying to say It all depends on the situation your in, who you are playing against, the surroundings you can use. Trial and error. Some tactics might work, some might not.

Nicely put.

Gr1mSh33per

Sergeant First Class

Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:57 am Profile

Bulletman wrote:

SlieTheSecond wrote:

Nicely put.

[TOS VIOLATION]

In AAO the best thing to do is put the mission first (it's engrained in my head from reading it during long load times Very Happy ). Do your objectives, heal your buddies, and be a good person with good leadership. Soon enough your honor will be high enough that you are here giving advise yourself (not that a high honor necesarrily means much).

IIISSS PPPEEEDRRROOO TTTHHHEEERRREEE????? (gotta love napoleon dynamite)

Search.Search.Search

Redneck29

Sergeant First Class

Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 6:19 am Profile

SlieTheSecond wrote:

A good player does not care about aaotracker (usually doesn't have an aaotracker account either)

Nice to see, that pointless sweeping generalisations and sterotypes are being kept out of this conversation.

While I agree that the "tracker mentality" is not necessarily good for the game it is utter nonsense to imply that simply having a tracker account prevents a player from being "good".

The two "best" players, in terms of working for the team and individual combat skills, I have ever played with both have/had Tracker Accounts.

I see an awful lot of players who don't have tracker accounts that are just as selfish and bad as players who do have accounts.

PB on its own is an empty toolbox with no tools and no mechanic. Only when coupled with CVARs MD5s AND an Admin willing to do lots of legwork does it come close to what it claims to be - an effective anti-cheat tool.

Sparrow-ITA

Private First Class

Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:14 am Profile Italy

Let me quote:
A good player is the player who works with a team. Very Happy hooah!
A good player does not care about aaotracker (usually doesn't have an aaotracker account either) and does not care how many kills vs death you have. Very Happy hooah!
--
then I'll add some points that, to my opinion, makes a good player:
- skill: improve your skill in shooting, aiming and using weapons and nades, these are the basics.
- tactics and movement: improve your tactics and mind-set: SSFF (Spot, Shoot, Frag, Flank), MOVE and take cover, enlarge your field of vision, be unpredictable, be difficult to be spotted and flanked, think ahead of enemies, think about the situation and how it changes ad adapt.
- knowledge of terrain (maps): observe and learn about the specifics of every map you play.

What you don't need as a good player:
- being like rambo, rush and die
- being a coward instead of being determined and strong
- ignoring objs of mission, taking care only about frag rate (omg)
- ignoring your teammates
Cheesy Grin

3-75th_B1P_2LT=Vion

Private First Class

Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 10:22 am Profile

Thanks guys. That helped alot.

XenoSilence

Sergeant First Class

Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 10:53 am Profile

A good player is someone who plays AA for fun, not too seriously, but respects the rules of engagement, respects other players, above all plays fair and plays as a team player. It doesnt matter if they cant shoot well or kill 4 in a row.

SlieTheSecond

Sergeant First Class

Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 10:58 am Profile Canada

the{ReAl}Chunga wrote:

SlieTheSecond wrote:

A good player does not care about aaotracker (usually doesn't have an aaotracker account either)

Nice to see, that pointless sweeping generalisations and sterotypes are being kept out of this conversation.

You changing my words around on me. I wasn't implying a good player can't have aaotracker. They may or may not have it, but they don't care about it in respect to the OP question. Which stated he wanted information only from "aaotracker your kills are high as heck adn your deaths are less than one third of that". People seem to think your only good if you can shoot more people than people can shoot you. Which simply is not true. You may not be able to hit a stationary skyscraper from 1 foot away. But you could every round help your team complete the objectives. Who do you want on your side, the guy that works as a team and helps complete every round. Or the guy who does the rambo thing, picks off 2 opfor before being killed. In the end his aaotracker will say he can kill a lot without dieing. But in truth he would be a horrible player.

[SONAF-r]Mike

Sergeant First Class

Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:43 pm Profile United States

A good America's Army player in my opinon, is someone who plays casually, not religilously, or addictively. Someone who plays without "whoring" a FragRate. Someone who doesn't or tries to cheat, someone who plays fairly, and doesn't go violating the TOS. Someone who only "Rambos'" when absolutely needed. Someone who puts the mission and teammates before their own selfish needs.

DELTA=1LT=Hoot

Private First Class

Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 1:13 pm Profile Canada

Hayabusa_Mike wrote:

A good America's Army player in my opinon, is someone who plays casually, not religilously, or addictively. Someone who plays without "whoring" a FragRate. Someone who doesn't or tries to cheat, someone who plays fairly, and doesn't go violating the TOS. Someone who only "Rambos'" when absolutely needed. Someone who puts the mission and teammates before their own selfish needs.

Well put. I have seen too many times lately, especially on SF Snakeplain, people who are more concerned with kills than they are about getting the last objective.

[SONAF-r]Mike

Sergeant First Class

Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 1:18 pm Profile United States

DELTA=SSG=Hoot wrote:

Hayabusa_Mike wrote:

Well put. I have seen too many times lately, especially on SF Snakeplain, people who are more concerned with kills than they are about getting the last objective.

I agree with you 100%.

[JasX]

Sergeant Major

Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 1:29 am Profile

SlieTheSecond wrote:

If you can't get a 2+ fragrate in pubs then you are not a good player. I don't care what you say or what argument you wanna put forward.

The top players on CAL, TWL and other ladders generally have tracker accounts.

SlieTheSecond

Sergeant First Class

Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:58 am Profile Canada

[JasX] wrote:

SlieTheSecond wrote:

If you can't get a 2+ fragrate in pubs then you are not a good player. I don't care what you say or what argument you wanna put forward.

The top players on CAL, TWL and other ladders generally have tracker accounts.

Lets assume a player for 7 out of 7 rounds. Died once for twice and completed every objective while alive. Called out enemy positions to their team. But never killed anyone. He ended up with a negative frag rate. They won every round tho. And without his help they would not have won every round.
In your words he is not a good player?

Another guy could rambo it every round and pick off a few opfor being picked off him self and end up with a 2+ frag rate. But be dead at the beginning of every round.
In your words he is a good player?

I would say the opposite of both is true.

There is more to this game than shooting people! Thats what I a'm trying to get across.

Page 1 of 17    Next Page  

Jump to: